Royal Icing Panda Cupcake Topper with Free Printable Template
I think we can all agree that Pandas are adorable. Their sweet black and white faces make adorable cupcake topper treats and they are simple to make with Royal Icing and our free printable template. Be warned, you need at least 24-36 hours prep time to make these pandas so they have time to dry and harden. They are totally worth the wait though.
Here is what you need to do to get started:
Download the free printable template here ---> FREE PANDA TEMPLATE and print it out. Next whip up a batch of Royal Icing.
Royal Icing Pandas (click to print recipe)
- 3 ounces of pasteurized egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- In large bowl of use either a hand mixer or a stand mixer and combine the egg whites and vanilla and beat until frothy.
- Add powdered sugar slowly and mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated and mixture is shiny.
- Beat on high speed for approximately 5 -7 minutes, until mixture forms stiff and you get glossy peaks.
- If not using immediately store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
LET'S START MAKING
Tape your template to a cooking rack. Cover the template with wax paper and tape it to the template. Now pipe your Royal Icing onto the wax paper tracing the template. Allow to dry for 24 hours, then carefully peel the decorations off the wax paper. If your pandas aren't hard try letting them sit longer. You want them hard!
Next, whip up a batch of cupcakes. I used my homemade VEGAN chocolate cake recipe for my cupcakes, which makes approximately 30 cupcakes and takes approximately 15 minutes to bake.
While the cupcakes are cooling make homemade vanilla buttercream frosting.
TIME TO DECORATE
Once your cupcakes are cooled completely pile on a fluffy layer of frosting.
Carefully place a panda onto the tops of cupcakes and serve!