Whimsical Royal Icing Unicorn Cupcake Toppers with FREE Printable Template
Unicorns were popular when I was a kid, so it is fun to see them return in full force this year. These Royal Icing Unicorns are simple to make, take a bit of time to create, but are so worth it. Use our FREE printable template to create your own.
Here is what you need to do to get started:
Download the free printable template here ---> FREE UNICORN TEMPLATE and print it out.
Next whip up a batch of Royal Icing.
Royal Icing Unicorns (click to print recipe)
- 3 ounces of pasteurized egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- Food gel coloring of your choice
- In large bowl of use either a hand mixer or a stand mixer and combine the egg whites and vanilla and beat until frothy.
- Add powdered sugar slowly and mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated and mixture is shiny.
- Beat on high speed for approximately 5 -7 minutes, until mixture forms stiff and you get glossy peaks.
- If not using immediately store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
LET'S START MAKING
Tape your template to a cooking rack. Cover the template with wax paper and tape it to the template. Separate your icing into small bowls, keeping one uncolored for the faces. Add gel food coloring to make yellow, pink, black, green, blue, and purple. I added a little extra powdered sugar to the blue, green and purple since I wanted them to hold their flower shape. Place your icings in piping bags with whichever tips you choose.
Start by piping the white face and yellow alicorn (horn). Then add the pink inner ear, flowers, leaves and eyelashes.
Allow Unicorns to dry for 24 hours, then carefully peel the decorations off the wax paper. If your Unicorns aren't hard try letting them sit longer. You want them hard!
Print out a few templates and make a bunch of Unicorns all at once.
TIME TO DECORATE
Once your cupcakes are cooled completely pile on a fluffy layer of frosting. I used a large star tip for mine.
Carefully place a Unicorn onto the tops of cupcakes and serve!